1. Give yourself an overall trim (around 3-5mm) with a full-size trimmer: if you’ve got some growth above and below your mouth, choose a longer setting for those areas–you’ll be shaping them next.
2. With a precision trimmer, trim the outline of your mustache so that it extends down towards your chin by about 5cm. It should be about 2.5cm wide.
3. Still using the precision trimmer, draw a line downwards, starting at the corner of your mouth, just at the edge of your lower lip. Leave 2cm between your mustache and the Soul Patch on both sides.
4. Now that you have separated your Soul Patch from your mustache, use your mini foil shaver to create and define the shape on your lower lip.
5. Give your cheeks and neck clean with a rotary shaver, moving in a gentle, circular motion. Use the mini foil shaver on the areas around your Zappa Beard to clean up and create more definition.
Styling/maintenance your Zappa Mustache
A true Zappa Mustache is nice and full, so really let the style grow in. You don’t have to maintain the look a lot – some stubble adds authenticity.
One helluva rockin’ style…
Only true pioneers get to have their very own beard style. To accomplish this you must be bold. You must bravely go where no beard has gone before. You must be Frank Zappa.
Zappa’s Mustache, like the man, was a true original. It combines a full mustache with a wide Soul Patch. The edges of the mustache droop slightly past the corners of the mouth, but not so much that it enters into Horseshoe territory.
If you have an oblong face, or are looking to add a bit more definition to your features, this is a good look. Accessorize the beard with a guitar and an air of nonchalance.